Posted on June 09 2020
I was on an interesting call yesterday. I stated a goal that I wanted to hit ... and the person I was on the phone with immediately shot back, "That can't be done." No pause, no thought ... just immediate push back. And that got me thinking about people that tell you what you can't do ... and how short minded that type of communication is.
Let me be blunt about this ... people that tell you what you can't do are usually the ones who are worried that possibly one day you will do it. And all of the sudden, they no longer have any excuses to hide behind what they're not achieving. It is a reflection of them, not you.
I want to cover off 5 things around people telling you that you can't achieve the goals you set:
- What others think of you is none of your business. It is up to you to work on your own belief. And yes, it is important to have supporters around. But that belief starts with you. you have to internally believe it
- When you first set a goal it is usually only a thought or a dream. Of course you can't achieve it at that time! Grow into your goals. Setting big dreams is giving yourself the opportunity to grow into them.
- Remember this ... when people say you can't ... that is usually based on THEIR knowledge, THEIR abilities, THEIR assumptions ... not yours.
- When you take other people's opinions, you often repeat them to yourself. Most people hang on to the negatives they hear and repeat those back to themselves over and over again. Most people repeat the negative instead of the positive. Remind yourself of the people that said you could do it, as opposed to those that said you couldn't.
- Use that "CAN'T" as fuel to spur you on and get yourself going. What is your big goal in the next 90 days? Share your vision with as many people as you want.
Massive goal setting happens with my formula:
Dream x Goal x Learn x Plan x Action
Silence the "CAN'Ts." Keep growing into your goals. Can't wait to see your results.